Cranach - Altarpiece of St Kunigunden church [left fixed wing]: Scene from the legend of Kunigunde (The marriage of Kunigunde and Heinrich)
Altarpiece of St Kunigunden church [left fixed wing]: Scene from the legend of Kunigunde (The marriage of Kunigunde and Heinrich)
Anonymous Master working in Freiberg
St. Kunigundenkirche Rochlitz
25.06.2019 - 12:24
Choose objects with for comparison
Painting:
CDA ID / Inventory NumberDE_KKR_NONE-KKR002E
Persistent Linkhttp://lucascranach.org/DE_KKR_NONE-KKR002E
FR (1978) No.FR-none
Title:
Altarpiece of St Kunigunden church [left fixed wing]: Scene from the legend of Kunigunde (The marriage of Kunigunde and Heinrich)[cda 2016]
Attribution:
Anonymous Master working in Freiberg[Sandner 1993, 143]
Dating:
1513[Corpus dated on reverse]
Owner / Repository / Location:
OwnerEv.-Luth. Kirchgemeinde Rochlitz
RepositorySt. Kunigundenkirche Rochlitz
LocationRochlitz
Dimensions:
Dimensions including frame: c. 290 x 100 cm [Landesamt für Denkmalpflege Sachsen, revised 2016]
Support:
Painting on wood [cda 2016]
Signature / Date:
- the High Altarpiece is dated '1513' on the reverse of the carved 'Mercy Seat' group [Sandner 1993, 140]
Provenance:
- probably commissioned by the town council of Rochlitz in 1506
- the completed altarpiece was installed in 1513
[Sandner 1993, 140]
Sources / Publications:
Reference on PageCatalogue NumberFigure/Plate
Exhib. Cat. Eisenach 199823723.6c1
Sandner 1993140-143, 359
Interpretation / History / Discussion:
In 1506 the town council of Rochlitz commissioned Philipp Koch's Freiberg based workshop with the High Altarpiece for the Kunigundenkirche. For the painterly execution of the wings the sculptor secured the cooperation of the best available artists. The first transition of the altar is of a good painterly quality by the workshops of the Master of the Döbelner Altarpiece and the workshop of the Master of the Oberbobritzsch Altarpiece which in terms of style and forms corresponds with that of the beginning of the Renaissance in Freiberg.
The interior reveals a central shrine by the workshop of Philipp Koch with a sculptural representation of the patron St Kunigunde and her husband Heinrich II flanked by the Virgin and Child with St Anne and the apostle Thomas. Scenes from the Passion of Christ are arranged either side of the shrine.
[see: Sandner 1993, 140-143] (Translation, cda 2016)