Cranach - Altarpiece of St Kunigunden church [right outer movable wing]: The Fourteen Helpers in Need [recto], Scene from the legend of Kunigunde [verso]
Altarpiece of St Kunigunden church [right outer movable wing]: The Fourteen Helpers in Need [recto], Scene from the legend of Kunigunde [verso]
Master of the Oberbobritzsch Altarpiece (?)
St. Kunigundenkirche Rochlitz
17.06.2019 - 02:52
Choose objects with for comparison
Painting:
CDA ID / Inventory NumberDE_KKR_NONE-KKR002D
Persistent Linkhttp://lucascranach.org/DE_KKR_NONE-KKR002D
FR (1978) No.FR-none
Title:
Altarpiece of St Kunigunden church [right outer movable wing]: The Fourteen Helpers in Need [recto], Scene from the legend of Kunigunde [verso][cda 2016]
Attribution:
Master of the Oberbobritzsch Altarpiece (?)[Sandner 1993, 101]
Dating:
1513[Corpus dated on reverse]
Owner / Repository / Location:
OwnerEv.-Luth. Kirchgemeinde Rochlitz
RepositorySt. Kunigundenkirche Rochlitz
LocationRochlitz
Dimensions:
Dimensions including frame: c. 290 x 100 cm [Landesamt für Denkmalpflege Sachsen, revised 2016]
Support:
Painting on wood [cda 2016]
Signature / Date:
- the High Altarpiece is dated '1513' on the reverse of the carved 'Mercy Seat' group [Sandner 1993, 140]
Description:
The cult of these saints has its origin in Franken and they are called upon for help in different states of distress. The depicted saints include Eustace, George, Agathius. Cyriacus, Leonard, Pantaleon, Christopher, Giles (last row, from left to right); Denis, Blaise and Erasmus (front row). On the left wing saints Catherine, Barbara and Margaret are shown in a group with the Virgin and child, otherwise known as 'virgo inter virgines'. The infant Christ at the centre puts a ring on Catherine's finger, alluding to her mystical marriage. [http://www.kirchspiel-rochlitzer-land.de/kirchspiel/default/index.php?cat=x_ro&subcat=gebaeude&page=kuni_ausstattung; accessed 30 Mar 2016] (Translation, cda 2016)
Provenance:
- probably commissioned by the town council of Rochlitz in 1506
- the completed altarpiece was installed in 1513
[Sandner 1993, 140]
Sources / Publications:
Reference on PageCatalogue NumberFigure/Plate
Exhib. Cat. Eisenach 199823723.6c1
Sandner 1993101, 140-143, 359Fig. p. 43, p. 141
Interpretation / History / Discussion:
In 1506 the town council of Rochlitz commissioned Philipp Koch's Freiberg based workshop with the High Altarpiece for the Kunigundenkirche. For the painterly execution of the wings the sculptor secured the cooperation of the best available artists. The exterior sides are decorated with scenes from the legend of Kunigunde by an unknown master. The first transition of the altar is of a good painterly quality by the workshops of the Master of the Döbelner Altarpiece and the workshop of the Master of the Oberbobritzsch Altarpiece which in terms of style and forms corresponds with that of the beginning of the Renaissance in Freiberg. Numerous artists working on the panels have brought together something of Cranach's world view, the Franconian culture of painting and forms common to Freiberg.
The interior reveals a central shrine by the workshop of Philipp Koch with a sculptural representation of the patron St Kunigunde and her husband Heinrich II flanked by the Virgin and Child with St Anne and the apostle Thomas. Scenes from the Passion of Christ are arranged either side of the shrine.
[see: Sandner 1993, 140-143] (Translation, cda 2016)