A knee-length portrait of Prince Joachim II of Brandenburg (1505-1571) in armour with a battleaxe subtley executed in great detail. The young man faces left and wears a large red beret with a plume. A small amount of his pleated, gold embroidered shirt pokes out of the collar of the armour and beneath it a gold chain with a cross-shaped pendant set with rubies and pearls is visible. The chain is wrapped numerous times around the sitter's neck. The chest and shoulders are richly decorated with gold gilding. He wears a dagger tucked into his belt and a fine delicate chainmail is visible between the plates of armour at the armholes and the codpiece [...]
The original painting by Lucas Cranach was in the Gotisches Haus until 1918 and has been in Schloss Grunewald, Berlin since 1958.
[Kulturstiftung Dessau Wörlitz; http://www.museum-digital.de/san/index.php?t=objekt&oges=16544; accessed 7 April 2015]