Cranach - The Scourging of Christ
The Scourging of Christ
Lucas Cranach the Elder
Jagdschloss Grunewald (Grunewald hunting lodge)
12.12.2018 - 01:57
Choose objects with for comparison
Painting:
CDA ID / Inventory NumberDE_SPSG_GKI2270
Persistent Linkhttp://lucascranach.org/DE_SPSG_GKI2270
FR (1978) No.FR371
Title:
The Scourging of Christ[Friedländer, Rosenberg 1979, No. 371]
Attribution:
Lucas Cranach the Elder [Stiftung Preußische Schlösser und Gärten, Berlin - Brandenburg, revised 2011]
Dating:
1537[dated]
Owner / Repository / Location:
OwnerStiftung Preussische Schlösser und Gärten Berlin-Brandenburg
RepositoryJagdschloss Grunewald (Grunewald hunting lodge)
LocationGrunewald
Dimensions:
Dimensions of support: 149 x 112.6 cm [Stiftung Preußische Schlösser und Gärten, Berlin - Brandenburg, revised 2011]
Support:
Painting on Lime wood (Tilia sp.) [Stiftung Preußische Schlösser und Gärten, Berlin - Brandenburg, revised 2011]
Signature / Date:
Artist's insignia in the middle of the lower edge: winged serpent (with dropped wings) and date '1537'
Description:
The flagellation, which takes place in the house of Pilate, the roman procurator, is canonical. The composition of this painting is determined by the contrast between the four henchmen in contemporary dress who with faces distorted by their grimaces beat Christ with a wide sweeping motion and the humiliated, suffering figure of Christ bound to the column. His slightly bent body covered in bleeding wounds and his face expressing sufferance are turned towards the viewer in an almost frontal pose, which achieves a particular immediacy. The henchmen sitting in the foreground prepares the crown of thorns later worn by Christ. [see Elke A. Werner, Exhib. Cat. Berlin 2009, 215, No. IV.16]
Provenance:
- from the old Domkirche (Cathedral) Berlin
[Friedländer, Rosenberg 1979, 144, No. 371]

- probably taken from the Domkirche (Cathedral) in the 17th century and placed in the Erasmuskapelle (Erasmus Chapel) of the Berliner Schloss (Berlin Palace); eight Passion paintings are listed in the Berliner Schloss inventory from 1700
[Exhib. Cat. Berlin 2009, 213, Nos. IV.14-22]
Exhibitions:
Berlin 2009/10, No. IV.16
Sources / Publications:
Reference on PageCatalogue NumberFigure/Plate
Exhib. Cat. Berlin 2009 A215No. IV.16Fig. IV.16
Most, Wolf et al. 200989, 95Figs. 3, 10
Erichsen 1994 A157, 158
Friedländer, Rosenberg 1979144No. 371Fig. 371
Friedländer, Rosenberg 1932296
Interpretation / History / Discussion:
‚The painting is one of nine Passion panels, that were originally parts of an unknown number of winged altarpieces. Commissioned by Joachim II Lucas Cranach the Elder and his workshop created them for the collegial church in Berlin (Berliner Stiftskirche) between 1537 and 1538. This is one of the central panels, which was probably flanked by full-length depictions of saints on the wings and complemented by scenes from the old testament on the predella. […] The Berlin Passion cycle was based on the 16 Passion altarpieces, which were commissioned by Cardinal Albrecht from Lucas Cranach the Elder and his workshop for the collegial church in Halle (Hallenser Stiftskirche) (about 1520-1525) and it was the second large painted Passion series created in the Cranach workshop. Not only are numerous central panels now missing from the Berlin Passion altarpieces, like for example ‚The Arrest of Christ‘ or ‚The Crucifixion‘, but in addition the whereabouts of all the wing panels and a large number of the predella panels is unknown. They were probably lost in 1613 when Elector Johann Sigismund converted to Calvinism. […]‘
[Elke A. Werner, Exhib. Cat. Berlin 2009, 213, No. IV.14-22]