- formerly in a collection in Madrid
[Exhib. Cat. Basel 1974, 666, No. 583]
- The painting has been owned for generations by the Marquis of Rafal family and probably came to Spain from Vienna when by the peace of Vienna the marquis, partidary of the Archduke of Austria in the Spanish War of Succession in the 18th century, was amnestied and could return from the exile in Vienna to Spain.
The countess of Via-Manuel (1850 - 1929), she was also Marquise of Rafal, sent the painting from her palace in Orihuela to her house in Madrid.
During the Spanish Civil War (1936 - 39) the picture was kept by the republicain 'Junta de Recuperación del Tesoro Artistico' and was sent to the Prado Museum. This painting was included in the expeditions organised by the Prado Museum durch the Civil War to send the paintings out of Madrid that ended near the border with France, first in the Figueras castle and then in the Perelada castle. (Once there was a label on the reverse of the painting giving information about that journey.)
It was perhaps at the Prado Museum that Christian Zervos , friend of Picasso - at the time director of the Prado - had the opportunity to see the picture and take a photo later employed in his book.
After the war, the picture went back to the owner, the Count of La Granja.
[mail correspondence of the former owner with D. Koepplin in the Archive D. Koepplin, 2005 and emailcorrespondence of the former owner with J. Herrschaft, 2012]
- 2009: the painting was not as intended auctioned at Christie's London
[Auct. Cat. Christie's in the Archive D. Koepplin]
[email correspondence of the former owner with J. Herrschaft, 2011]
- since 2012 in the Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao
[email correspondence of the former owner with J. Herrschaft, 2012]