- the panel is dated 1529, but its early history still remains uncertain: it may initially have been installed in the Collegiate Church (Stiftskirche) in Halle before being moved slightly later to the Marktkirche. The exact date remains a matter of debate.
- according to an entry in the account books the altarpiece was already in place in the Marktkirche by 1540.
- in 1841 it was dismantled and replaced by the so-called Hübner-Altar; the panels were then displayed in the church as single units and the original frame was lost.
- in 1942 during the WW2 the altarpiece was evacuated to Niemberg
- in 1943 the predella was transferred to Petersberg
- in 1945 the predella was tranferred to Wiesbaden
- in 1948 the altarpiece (excluding the predella) was returned to the Marktkirche
- the predella was returned in 1961
- in 1984 the altarpiece was finally installed in its present position after a burst pipe in the church ocasioned comprehensive renovation and conservation
[Matauschek 2016, 109, 110]